The Origins of the Lancaster Name
Lancaster Park was first officially used in 1881. The land was acquired by a group of shareholders - mainly Christchurch sports personalities and businessmen. Work was done to introduce an admission charge for the ground, with fences, tracks and a pavilion being added. It was initially used as a cricket park for a new local cricket club, who took the name Lancaster Park Cricket Club. This was in reference to English landowner, Benjamin Lancaster. From this point, the park developed its very colourful history and memorable sporting moments.